Monday, July 27, 2026

Chapter 37: Odessy, The Man Who Carried Home

 



The old man arrived with only one bag.

No one noticed him at first.

People arriving on Mars usually carried instruments.

Computers.

Seeds.

Medical equipment.

He carried none of these.

Only a faded canvas bag that looked older than he was.

 

Marika welcomed him.

"Was your journey long?"

The old man smiled.

"Every journey is long."

"Even the short ones."

 

Days passed.

He rarely spoke.

Every evening he walked beyond the last habitat and sat facing the empty horizon.

Not watching Mars.

Watching somewhere else.

 

One afternoon Marika finally asked,

"What are you looking for?"

The old man answered without turning.

"I'm trying to remember where home ends."

 

She sat beside him.

"I thought home was a place."

He shook his head.

"That is what young people believe."

 

He opened his old canvas bag.

Inside were strange things.

A smooth pebble.

A broken compass.

A piece of blue cloth.

A rusted key.

A dried fig leaf.

Nothing valuable.

Everything priceless.

 

Marika picked up the key.

"What door did this open?"

"I no longer remember."

"Then why keep it?"

The old man smiled.

"Because the door remembered me."

 

She remained silent.

He continued.

"When I was young, I believed I travelled to discover the world."

"When I grew older..."

"...I realised I had been travelling to discover what I could never leave behind."

 

The wind moved softly across the Martian plain.

The old man closed the bag.

"You know the saddest mistake people make?"

Marika looked at him.

"They think exile begins when they leave."

"It doesn't."

"It begins the day they stop carrying home inside them."

 

That night she could not sleep.

She walked to the Museum of Forgotten Things.

She opened the display case holding the shell from Vourvourou.

Beside it she placed no new object.

Only a small handwritten card.

It read:

"Home is not the place from which you depart.

It is the place that continues travelling inside you."

 

The following morning, the old man was gone.

No shuttle had departed.

No record mentioned his arrival.

His footsteps ended a few metres beyond the colony.

As though the desert itself had quietly erased them.

 

Only one thing remained.

The faded canvas bag.

Inside it there was nothing.

Not the pebble.

Not the key.

Not the compass.

Only a tiny fold of paper.

Marika unfolded it.

It contained a single sentence.

"Every traveller believes he is searching for a destination.

The wise discover they have always been carrying it."

 

Years later, visitors often asked about the empty bag displayed in the museum.

"What was inside it?"

Marika always gave the same answer.

"Everything that could never be weighed."

"And what was that?"

She would smile.

"A homeland."

One that no map had ever drawn.

One that no journey could ever exhaust.

 

When the museum closed that evening, Marika stood for a long time before the old canvas bag.

For the first time, she understood why her father had never thrown away the old fishing knife from Vourvourou.

Why her grandmother had folded every linen cloth as if it were a prayer.

Why a shell could contain an entire sea.

And why some people spend their whole lives crossing the universe,

only to discover

that the longest voyage

is the one

from memory

to belonging.

to be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Αφήστε το όμορφο μήνυμά Σας