Friday, July 3, 2026

Chapter 18: The Shell from Vourvourou

 



I have carried a shell across sixty million kilometers.

People laugh when they see it.

"If cargo space was so precious," they ask, "why bring a shell?"

Because it weighs less than memory.

I found it when I was ten years old.

Or perhaps it found me.

My father and I had left before sunrise for Vourvourou, when the sea was still asleep and the pine trees leaned over the water as though listening to its dreams.

The old wooden boat rocked gently beneath our feet.

Neither of us spoke very much.

We never needed to.

He taught me that silence shared with someone you love is another language.

The fishing lines disappeared into water so clear that the fish looked as though they were flying.

Above us, gulls circled lazily.

Below us, sea grass danced with the current.

The scent of pine resin mixed with salt.

If happiness has a smell, I believe it smells like that morning.

By noon the sun had turned the sea into liquid glass.

We tied the boat to the shore and walked barefoot among the smooth rocks.

Every shell seemed different.

Every stone had its own story.

I chose the smallest shell I could find.

My father smiled.

"You always pick the quiet ones."

Not far from the beach stood a stone well.

Everyone knew it.

You lowered an old metal bucket into the darkness.

It struck the water with a sound that echoed upward like laughter.

The water was impossibly cold.

Colder than any refrigerator.

Sweeter than anything bought in a bottle.

Nearby lived my father's old friend.

Everyone called him Alarga.

I never learned whether it was his real name.

Perhaps names mattered less back then.

He greeted every visitor as though they had finally come home.

By evening the fire was already burning.

Fresh fish rested on iron grates.

Olive oil hissed against glowing coals.

Wild oregano filled the air.

Someone sliced tomatoes still warm from the garden.

Someone else broke bread with rough hands.

No one asked who had brought what.

Everything belonged to everyone.

When darkness arrived, the sea disappeared.

Only its voice remained.

The fire painted warm colors across familiar faces.

Adults talked about harvests, storms, boats, and years that had passed too quickly.

Children chased shadows between the pines.

Above us stretched a sky so crowded with stars that it seemed impossible there could be room for another.

That was the first time I truly noticed Mars.

A tiny red ember among countless lights.

So distant.

So unreachable.

I remember pointing toward it.

"Does anyone live there?"

The adults laughed softly.

"Only dreams," my father said.

Years passed.

The boat grew old.

The fire burned out.

The well still waits beneath the pines.

Some of the voices have fallen silent forever.

But the shell remained.

Now it rests on the shelf beside the Antikythera Mechanism.

Sometimes, during the long Martian nights, I place it against my ear.

People say you hear the sea because of trapped echoes.

I think they are mistaken.

I hear my father checking the fishing line.

I hear Alarga laughing by the fire.

I hear the bucket striking the cold water deep below the earth.

And for a few quiet moments...

Mars smells of pine trees.

...to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Αφήστε το όμορφο μήνυμά Σας